Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Drivers sit on the left side now

Hey everyone,

I'm back home in L.A. for the next week and a half. Unfortunately, my laptop got busted, so I have to get that fixed.

Yesterday was really disorienting. In a way, it's weirder than it was when I moved to Japan. You would expect things to feel out of place when you move to a new country, and they do. But when you come back, everything's almost exactly as you left it. People go about their business and they don't realize what a shock it is for you. To an extent, there is no shock, but when you're expecting a shock and it never comes... well, that's a shock on its own.

I tried to get into a car's passenger seat on the wrong side when I got picked up from the airport yesterday. Between that, and being really tired, I decided not to drive. After a good night's sleep, I'm not feeling much jet lag anymore, so I feel okay driving now. I may put everyone's life in jeopardy, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

No comments: