Thursday, April 27, 2017

Shikoku Pilgrimage Day 19

Temple 25 done in the wee morning hours (7:30), up a small mountain to 26, then down. Onward to Tano town, where trains became a thing again! I sleep now.

Or wait, I'm adding a bit more this time. I want to talk about the human body, boys and girls, and how weird and stupid it is sometimes.

I was doing well today, till maybe an hour after lunch. I started dragging, thought I needed a pick-me-up. So I stopped at a cafe, got some ice coffee and a snack. Rested for a good 20 minutes. Back on the road and I felt as bad as ever. What the hell? So I take inventory and discover I have 2 small blisters on my left foot. I take care of them like a pro. (That's probably something a pro would say, right? Right.)

I get all myself back together and hit the road again. Immediately my left foot is in pain. How was it I was only in pain *after* treating those ungrateful feet and not before? I realize the answer as I keep walking. My full-body exhaustion is gone. It tingles as I literally feel the weariness leaving my body like an excorsized demon. Even though I was now having stabs of pain every time I took a step, it was way better than the exhaustion. The pain was maybe a 2/10, an annoyance. The exhaustion, on the other hand, made me feel like giving up.

My theory is that when your body is too busy dealing with one type of pain all the time (exhaustion from walking) other types of pain get ignored. So in order to make themselves known, they masquerade as the type of pain that's getting all the attention.

The moral of the story is: don't assume pain is what it claims to be. Check your body for other possibilities.

No comments: